5 Tips to Know For Your Invisalign® Treatment
Invisalign treatment is where patients wear transparent and detachable aligners to straighten the teeth steadily. This orthodontic treatment can be used to achieve a “perfect smile”. It does not consist of brackets and wires and does not have any restrictions that usually come with the metal braces.
How does it work?
Clear plastic aligner trays are used to slowly move a patient’s teeth into proper alignment. The patient needs to wear the trays for at least 20 hours a day. These trays can be easily removed and allow the patient to maintain proper oral hygiene by flossing and brushing their teeth like they normally would. They do not have to worry about the brackets or wires that complicate the treatment.
Your teeth will usually shift up to 0.25 mm per tray. You will be provided a fresh set every fortnight. These will slowly shift your teeth towards their ideal places.
How to start the treatment?
The Invisalign® treatment typically follows the following steps:
- If a patient chooses the Invisalign® treatment to achieve the smile they desire, they need to book a consultation appointment first. This visit allows the medical team to assess the patient’s teeth and decide if they are appropriate candidates for the treatment.
- Next, they will work with the dental team to complete a series of 3D digital impressions, which will then be used to develop images that would be sent to the Invisalign® labs.
- Then, the team will create a precision set of trays that will help the patients through the process of enhancing their smiles.
- The patient will return to the dental office to collect their respective trays, and the doctor will guide them through the process of enhancing their smiles.
5 Key Tips for the Invisalign® Treatment
Here are some tips for patients who are undergoing Invisalign® treatment and want to maximize the benefits of the procedure:
- Wear your trays consistently: Dentists usually recommend their patients wear their aligners for at least 20 hours a day. In short, one should only remove them when necessary, which is usually during oral care routines. The aligners should be put back immediately after the oral care routine is completed.
- Always maintain good oral hygiene: Practicing oral hygiene is essential as the saliva cannot always wash away bacteria and other food particles while wearing the aligners. Patients should brush their teeth twice or thrice a day, floss after each meal, and use mouthwash.
- Use the aligners case: It is important to keep the aligners clean. Make sure to always place the aligners in the Invisalign® case provided by the dentist when not using them.
- Avoid sugary and other harmful foods: Food and drinks with high sugar content may increase the chance of cavities if the food particles become trapped between the teeth and aligners and if the aligners are not cleaned properly. Avoid any other food items that can cause the same problem.
- Make all dentist visits: Patients should visit the dentist as often as possible to monitor the process and ensure quality results and a safe treatment process.
If you wish to get Invisalign® treatment, please visit us at Campustown Dental. We are among the most prominent Invisalign® treatment providers in Ames, Iowa. Along with Invisalign® treatment, our Ames dentists are skilled in providing the best general and cosmetic dentistry solutions to our patients. Please contact us for further detail